Tuesday 6 December 2011

The rationality of the 18th Century Northern woman

Basically I haven't had much time to write of late, and like all good academics - or should I say the greatest self critics - I frequently re-read what I write with a ambitious sceticism.

Recently I have been engaging with a large volume of archival holdings, and have been undertaking the second part of my research by analysing just how real aspects of ideology were on women. Reading, for one, through the Ramsden correspondence in Huddersfield has shown me just how far the limitations of ideas of high society actually impacted women within Northern areas. It would be errorsome to say 'normal' or 'real' women, but it would be fair to say grounded in the economic and social realities of working life. How far did it matter about social emulation when the rail roads were threatening their homes, or when political marginalisation meant that the average woman would be institutionalised if they attended a political meeting as anything other than her.

So, I will focus above all else on my thesis, and hopefully come here soon to discuss some of the mesmerising, mind blowing sources I have seen over the past few months. And perhaps one day soon, catch up on some sleep - which right now is a concept too alien to me to imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment